Baby boy’s arrival

I figure I should write out the birth story before it’s been too long and I forget.


He was due on October 10th and showed no signs of coming on time. On the tenth day passed due we could chose to induce or keep going. After much debate we decided to induce as our midwife informed us that going more then 2 weeks overdue increases our odds of stillbirth and that is not something we were comfortable with.

So on Monday I went to the hospital and had an ultrasound and non stress test done. Both came back with great results. Baby had lots of fluid and a good looking placenta. The heart rate was good as well. We decided to insert cervadil which is a thin strip of paper placed behind my cervix. It didn’t really hurt going in anymore then a cervical check. Which seem to always hurt me anyways. I was then hooked up to a non stress test monitor for 2 hours before being allowed to go home around noon. Everything went well and I had some minor cramping until about 4 when I got one continuos contraction with no break. My tummy went hard and I could not get relief in my lower back. I was supposed to return to the hospital at 9 to take out the cervadil and insert another one but I decided to call the midwife and ask about the contractions and she asked me to go to the hospital right away and meet her there. So it turns out the cervadil hyper stimulated me and for the whole day it helped me dilate to a 1. So they took it out and did not insert another one. The plan was to come back the next morning and start oxytocin to bring on contractions.

We went home and tried to sleep. I’m not going to lie, it totally sucked. M was trying to push on my back to help combat the contractions but we did not fall asleep until after 5am and I just knew something was not right. We went back to the hospital at 8am and I got another scan and check. We had progress and I was at a 2. Which I was glad to have progress. Sad to have a full night of contractions to only be at a 2. They hooked me up to oxytocin and began to Increase the dose every hour. Something they noticed is that when I would get contractions babies heart rate would drop a little and then go back up. The nurses doctors and midwife were not happy about it but said it was normal as he was essentially getting squished with each contraction. My contractions were getting stronger and more intense and I was up to 4 strong ones in 10 minutes. I looked at M and said I was so sorry but I needed to have some meds to help. After more then 24 hours of it I was more then uncomfortable and we opted for the gas. I used the gas for a couple hours and it didn’t help the beginning of a contraction but helped by the end of it. I was more thankful to have something to focus on.

Once my contractions got back to back my midwife called in and we went to the birthing room (push room). It is there that she checked me and said I was at a 3. A 3!!!!! Argh how frustrating. They broke my water and it was not clear. I felt so terrible but I looked at M and told her there was no way and that I needed the epidural. I didn’t want it but I was exhausted. We were at 36 hours of labour now. So I get the epidural which did NOT hurt. Instead it was kind of amazing. During my next contraction babies heart rate dropped down and did not automatically come back up. The midwife called in the doctor and they called in 4 doctors for an emergency c section. So that was fun…

I was sent to the operating room while M was sent back to our room to get on scrubs and wait. They stated cutting me and the worst part was that one section of my tummy could not freeze so I felt it. It wasn’t as bad as it sounds, I knew I felt them cutting and I knew it hurt but I didn’t really care. I knew it would be over soon and I was really waiting for a cry. They warned me that baby may have to be intubation as his waters were not clear. After a while they got M to come in and asked the doctor if I could do 5 minutes of skin to skin on the table if baby was okay. He agreed and I was happy. They told me I would feel some muscle spasms which I did and that was weird. I could feel my belly bouncing lots. Then they said I would feel pressure as another doctor pushed the baby out. All I know after that is that a second later I heard a screaming loud cry and heard them say it was a big baby boy! They said he looked healthy and I was so happy to hear the cry. They took him to the side table where M got to cut the cord shorter and I got to peek at him from my spot. I guess because I felt the cutting they kept giving me lots of medicine and by the time he got cleaned off for skin to skin m brought him over and I was passed out. She took him to our room for skin to skin until I woke up a couple hours later. Baby was born at 11:49pm October 21st. 8lbs even and just under 21 inches long. Isn’t he beautiful? We are very much in love. We had to stay in the hospital for 4 days due to his fast respiratory rate and while it has not come down it has not gotten worse. We have had consults with neonatologists and paediatricians and the word is to just keep monitoring and hope it goes away in a couple weeks. We have our fingers crossed. We want out little man healthy and happy.

Things I’ve learned about baby boy so far. He is a boob man. He smiles when he has gas and it is soooooo cute I can’t wait until it’s for real! I know everyone says it…but I really think he is the cutest baby ever! πŸ˜‰

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Baby boy’s arrival

  1. Allison says:

    He is beautiful!
    Your birth story reminds me a lot of mine. It was not fun. The baby is worth it though. πŸ˜‰ Hope you’re both doing well.

  2. Ashley Davis says:

    He is so cute!!!!!!! Congrats guys!

  3. Pops says:

    He is gorgeous! Congrats again on your son!!

  4. Ashleigh says:

    Congrats! He is absolutely adorable πŸ™‚

  5. Caitlin says:

    He is absolutely precious! Great work on the baby-making and birthing!! Can’t wait to hear how the settling-in is going!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s