I have been a nervous slacker

It has been a while since I updated. Over a month. I think about updating all the time, but then this little superstitious voice is all “don’t count your chicks before they hatch”. I know this is ridiculous. This is going to be long…

So here is what has happened in the last month. We had our 7.5 week ultrasound on February 26th and all looked well.

Between the end of February and middle of March not much happened besides feeling pretty crappy and being confused how a baby could be growing and I don’t feel anything in the baby area. Aside from a few pinches/pulls it was pretty much just the rest of my body and head that felt weird. I told M that if I did not know I was pregnant I will like something was seriously wrong with me. My body felt like… it was taken over. Not so much poisoned but just not wonderful. I hear this is normal though.

My school has a two week Spring break at the end of March so in early March I was looking out my window at the constant grey rain and told M “I am not going to stay home for 2 weeks feeling crappy while you go to work. Lets go to your parents in Phoenix”. She agreed, flights were booked, and we thought we had perfect timing as her moms birthday fell on our trip and we could tell her about our surprise.

During the first week of Spring Break I got all my bloodwork completed minus the genetic testing as the paper for that was mixed up.

My parents watched our pups while we jet setted and we decided it was only proper to tell them about the baby before we flew across the country to tell M’s family. My mom was really confused at first as she had no idea but soon became really excited. She even called me later that evening and all she could say is “I”m Flabbergasted”. Too funny.

I had asked my midwife if there was anyway she could squeeze me in for a quick doppler test before we flew across the country to announce our pregnancy. She was so kind and said yes and we got a baby heartbeat reading of 155. She said that she could feel my uterus and that was a good sign. I then realized that that was what that weird bump was. Ha!

We then flew to Phoenix to enjoy the sunshine and it was beautiful there. M told her mom by making her a Grandkids wooden board that had each grandchild in order of birth hanging down with our ultrasound at the end. She was happy, we were happy and it all went well. Our newphews were a bit confused but they know they will be getting a new cousin in October.

The vacation is going great and I get a call from my Doctor while I am in the States. He tells me there is a concern with my TSH as it is extremely low and I am hyperthyroid. He says he wants me to go see a Dr. In the U.S. to take my blood pressure and pulse to make sure I am not above a 120 pulse. Cut to me panicking – really how could I not. I get back to my in-laws and see an email from my Midwives telling me to see my Doctor A.S.A.P. Oh great. So I ask my Doctor if I could just go to one of those machines at the pharmacy and he said yes, and to call back if my pulse is over 120.

I go to the pharmacy – okay 5 pharmacies over the next 2 days and my blood pressure is a bit higher then normal for me as well as my pulse. However they are still in the regular range and my pulse is sitting between 92-100. My Doctor schedules me in to see him the Monday after I get back from the trip and I resume my escalated fear.

We fly home Friday morning. We were not ready to leave. We had done a lot of running around and M had painted her moms house but we didn’t have that one day to sit in the sun and relax. We looked at flying home Saturday instead but all the flights were booked. We sadly went to the airport the next morning. M went to go get some breakfast and I sat with our bags when they announced the flight was overbooked! They needed some wonderful volunteers to take a later flight home. I volunteered and asked if that later flight could be tomorrow instead. They said yes and we were first on the list to be off the plane. As everyone else boarded we stayed behind and success! We got first class tickets for the Saturday flight and called M’s mom to pick us up at the airport. It was wonderful! And as an added bonus we got a $450 flight voucher each. Hello free Christmas flight!

We get home and I go the Doctor after work on Monday. He takes my blood pressure and pulse and checks for tremors in my hands. He refers me to an endocrinologist to decide our game plan for the pregnancy.

On Tuesday we go to our Midwife appointment for our 12 week check up. Everything checks out good and she says that babies heartbeat is strong but took the doppler off before she got a reading. She went really fast. She said it was between 150 and 160 and good. So that put us at ease a bit.

On Thursday we drove to the city for my endocrinologist appointment. Here are some of the things she said.
– I am hyperthyroid
– She does not recommend getting pregnant with my condition
– Because I am pregnant I cannot complete the test (Radioactive iodine) to try to diagnose why I am hyperthyroid as it would cross the placenta
– My levels are not good for regular people
– For people with Hyperthyroid and pregnancy my levels are where they aim for people to get with medication
– I will need monitoring to decide if and when I start the meds
– miscarriage rates are higher then normal but not quite doubled
– She is impressed me made it to 13 weeks

I asked her if she thought it was safe for us to tell people at 13 weeks and she said well you could always wait a couple more weeks. M thinks she more meant that no one would know so we don’t have to tell. ARGH! My midwife on Tuesday said – you are looking great – tell people!

Here is what I know from my pre fertility bloodwork. My TSH was the exact same low low level so that has not changed through pregnancy. My T4 and T3 were not tested then so I do not know the levels of those. I was able to conceive and carry a baby 13 weeks with that low level so why should I panic that it will end now. It is not as if this is a brand new thing my body is dealing with.

So last night we told my grandma and my aunt as she was at my grandmas when we arrived. My aunt cried. It was cute. We purposely told my grandma when my grandpa was in the other room as we didn’t know how he would respond. He did not come to our wedding but he did come to the small reception after. He is kind but old fashioned and really doing the best he can. We live in the same town and visit often and he treats M with complete respect. I just want to leave the explaining to my grandma.

So here we are at 13 weeks 1 day and feeling excited and nervous. I am a bit bummed this Hyperthyroid shit had to come and ruin a bit of our happiness. I am choosing to stay positive and excited for this October arrival. Yesterday the hospital called me and booked me into my genetic scan ultrasound for May 20th. They said – you can find out gender then if you want. WHAT! Already! next month! Wow!

So we are riding this roller coaster and believing we will have a happy ending with a healthy baby in October!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to I have been a nervous slacker

  1. First of all, I’m so happy you updated! But I’m so sorry you are having to deal with the stress of your thyroid. You’ve made it past the hurdle of the first trimester, I’m sure you’ll just keep hitting milestone after milestone.

    • jennandm says:

      Thank you! I needed someone to say they were hopeful for us!

      • My spouse’s mom had a really bad thyroid condition when she was pregnant with her. So bad combined with type 1 diabetes that the doctors told her not to get pregnant, and when she was they said the baby would never make it. Sure the spouse is a lil odd lol, but over all she turned out okay.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s